You want to study the history and the capital of a thousand years of civilization, and you are looking for new check-in spots, renew your trip by visiting the most beautiful museums in Hanoi.
Hanoi has many museums, each of which has its own unique and distinctive colour, depicting a colourful picture of the landmarks and imprints of the whole country of Vietnam. Do not think that museums are boring! You will discover a lot of interesting things and have beautiful photos.
1. National Historical Museum
Located in Hoan Kiem district, the National Historical Museum stores and preserves about 200,000 artifacts and documents of Vietnamese cultural history. It also displays artifacts from archaeological cultures from the early Stone Age period, masterpieces of famous cultures, such as the Dong Son culture, and Champa Stone Sculpture. Besides, this museum also owns more than 80,000 valuable documents and artifacts about the nation’s independence struggle.
- Address 1: 01 Trang Tien Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi (history of ancient and medieval Vietnam)
- Address 2: 216 Tran Quang Khai Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi (Vietnamese history of modern-day).
- Opening hours: 8:00 am to 12:00 pm, and 1::30 pm to 5:00 pm.
2. Ho Chi Minh Museum
Ho Chi Minh museum is a place to store artifacts associated with President Ho Chi Minh. You can find the whole life of a great leader of the nation here. The museum displays valuable artifacts, from general objects about his life to outstanding literary works of President Ho Chi Minh, including articles and documents about the beloved ethnic father.
- Address: 19 Ngoc Ha Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Opening hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
3. Vietnam Museum of Ethnology
The Vietnam Museum of Ethnology will give you a clearer overview of the history and culture of 54 ethnic groups living in the S-shaped land. With a space of more than 4 hectares and 3 main exhibition areas: the exhibition area in the Trong Dong building, the outdoor exhibition area, and the Southeast Asian exhibition region, you will learn about the customs and habits of 54 ethnic groups, from weddings, burials to daily activities.
- Address: Nguyen Van Huyen Street, Cau Giay District, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Opening hours: 8:30 am – 5:30 pm, but close on Monday
4. Vietnam Women’s Museum
Vietnam Women’s Museum is a symbol of the noble sacrifice and the indomitable and resilient spirit. All documents of Vietnamese women are kept here as a way of honouring heroic mothers and wives. You will be excited when seeing the images of the heroic woman going through the period of fighting against foreign invaders, and the great contributions of women in the construction of the nation.
- Address: 36 Ly Thuong Kiet Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Opening hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
5. Hanoi Museum
Hanoi capital also has its own place, called Hanoi Museum, to display the unique features of the culture in over one-thousand-year-old land. The exhibits on display are mainly left from the Ly – Tran – Le dynasties when Thang Long (former name of Hanoi) was also the capital of the country. Also, the objects tell about the ancient and present Hanoi, such as the tortoise skeleton from Hoan Kiem Lake, or Bang Lang flower. Also, coming to the Hanoi Museum, you will see ancient Hanoi pictures and antiquities from ancient and medieval times.
- Address: Pham Hung Street, Me Tri ward, Nam Tu Liem District, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Opening hours: 8:00 am – 11:30 am and 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
6. Vietnam Military History Museum
Vietnam Military History Museum locates in the system of 6 national museums and the first one of the military museum system. This place displays and stores thousands of artifacts, including many precious artifacts, especially 04 national treasures, including MIG 21 aircraft 800 4324, MIG 21 aircraft with number 5121, Ho Chi Minh Campaign Determination Map, and T54B tank number 843. Coming here, besides admiring the massive vehicles and machines, you will listen to historical stories about the nation’s famous campaigns and battles.
- Address: 28A Dien Bien Phu Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Opening hours: 8:00 am – 11:30 am and 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm, closed Mon and Fri
7. The Air Defense – Air Force Museum
If you like history and the way to strike with aeroplanes, you will not be able to miss the Air Defense – Air Force Museum. The outdoor of the museum displays collections of unique artifacts and weapons: aircraft, artillery, rockets, and radar. Besides, there are also 73 large artifacts, including the weapons of the Air Defense – Air Force which were associated with many outstanding victories in the two resistance wars against the French colonialists and the American imperialists.
- Address: 171 Truong Chinh Street, Dong Da District, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Opening hours: 8:00 am – 11:00 am and 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
8. Vietnam Fine Arts Museum
Located modestly on the corner of Nguyen Thai Hoc Street (Hanoi), Vietnam Fine Arts Museum is peaceful and lovely amidst urban prosperity. Just a few steps from the street to the inside of the museum grounds, the noisy life is left behind.
The first impressive image is an ancient, romantic French villa nestled under the lush green tree canopy. Vietnam National Fine Arts currently holds more than 18,000 artifacts, of which 2,000 are on permanent display. The museum is a lovely artistic destination in Hanoi to learn, research, and contemplate the masterpieces of artworks.
- Address: 66 Nguyen Thai Hoc Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Opening hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm, closed on Monday
Which museums did you visit or will you like to explore when visiting Hanoi, Vietnam?