The attraction of Vietnam is not only in the beautiful landscapes, but it is also the great cuisine, diverse delicious dishes across the country. In each region, the taste of food and processing are also slightly different, creating its own characteristics, attracting foodies.
ExoticTravel Vietnam would like to send you a list of flavourful dishes in Saigon that you can try to know the local taste in this city.
1. Broken rice with pork ribs
When going to Saigon, you need to taste broken rice with pork ribs to know the typical food of this place. This dish is the most popular in this area. Saigon people eat broken rice all day, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even late at night.
The smell of fragrant grilled ribs surely attracts you to come to the shops of broken rice. A fat piece of aromatic grilled ribs marinates with many spices, served with white steamed rice and a few slices of cucumber, tomatoes… All sounds simple but try once, you will love this dish.
Broken rice is everywhere in Saigon, from luxurious to an affordable price. Please see these places!
- Com Tam Tu Quy, 135 Nguyen Huu Cau, Tan Dinh Ward, District 1, HCM
- Com Tam Thuan Kieu, 26 Ton That Tung, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, HCM
- Com Tam Bui Saigon, 100 Thach Thi Thanh, Tan Dinh Ward, District 1, HCM
- Com Tam Dem Cao Dat, 185 Tran Binh Trong, Ward 3, District 5, HCM
Some places are for your reference. Many other restaurants are also nice to choose for your hungry stomach.
When asking what to eat in Saigon, most local people will mention snails. The shellfish food area is definitely here because Saigonese people prefer snails more than other things. Hundreds of snail shops are in this city, selling different dishes, such as steamed, boiled snails with sour, sweet or hot taste.
Many people say if you come to Ho Chi Minh City and you ignore snails, you are not to Saigon. Eating, sniffing, chatting with friends at the snail shop is nothing more interesting.
Of course, not only snails, you can find clams, mussels, oysters, scallops, shrimps, crabs and lobsters. The chef can cook various dishes including Thai steamed clams, fried oysters with garlic, salted crabs with chilli, grilled scallops with onion…
So if you come to Saigon, stop at a snail shop, give your hungry stomach with these great dishes.
- Oc Dao – alley 212B Nguyen Trai, District 1, HCM
- Oc Loan – 175/26, Nguyen Thien Thuat, District 3, HCM
- Oc Nhu – 650/4 / 29D Dien Bien Phu, District 3, HCM
- Oc To – C128, Xom Chieu, District 4, HCM
- Oc Thao – 237/8 Hoang Dieu, District 4, HCM
- OC Mam Sua – 282 / 4A Bui Huu Nghia, Ward 2, Binh Thanh, HCM
>>> You may want to read the way to spend a day in Saigon.
3. Mixed rice paper
Mixed rice paper is a typical dish, which can also be found anywhere in Saigon. The recipe to create this dish is quite simple. It is a combination of shredded rice paper, mixed with roasted peanuts, dry onions, dried beef, quail eggs, and some spicy satay.
With such a simple recipe, this dish is loved by the food lovers in Saigon, from students to office workers. The price for each dish is also very cheap from 10 – 25,000VND, and you will feel strang feelings.
- Banh Trang Tron Chu Vien (Uncle Vien’s mixed rice paper), 38 Nguyen Thuong Hien, Ward 5, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 11:30 am – 19:00.
- Banh Trang Tron Co Long (Mixed Rice paper mixed of Ms Long), 34 Nguyen Thuong Hien, Ward 5, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 10: 00 am – 10:00 pm.
- Banh Trang Tron Co Thao (Ms Thao’s rice paper), 90 Nguyen Thuong Hien, Ward 5, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm.
4. Nam Vang noodle
Nam Vang noodle is also considered one of the most famous and delicious dishes in Ho Chi Minh City. In fact, this dish was created by Chinese people living in Cambodia. The name “Nam Vang” is also taken from the name of the capital of Nam Vang (Phnom Penh) of that country. When they moved to Saigon, the noodle soup was also brought along, it was modified to be more delicious and suitable for Vietnamese tastes.
A bowl of rice noodles includes silky soft noodles, tender meat, minced meat, shrimp, quail eggs, pork liver and squid. The broth is very clear, has a rich sweet taste. When serving, eaters add a bit of herb to increase the flavour.
- Hu Tieu Nam vang Qunh (Nam Vang Noodle of Quynh), Price: 70 – 80,000VND, Address: A65 Nguyen Trai, Nguyen Cu Trinh Ward, District 1, Saigon. Opening hours: 5:30 am – 9:30 pm.
- Nam Vang Noodle of Dat Thanh, Price: 40 – 60,000VND, Address: 607 Cach Mang Thang 8, District 10, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 24 hours per day.
- Nam Vang Noodle of Nhan Quan, Price: 50 – 70,000VND, Address: 488 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 5:00 am – 23:00.
5. Saigon Pancake
Pancakes are a popular and beloved dish in many places across Vietnam. The pancakes have rice flour, shrimps, crispy meat, rolled with fresh green vegetables and dipped in chilli garlic sauce. Although it is a familiar dish in the country, do not miss the pancakes made in Saigon.
Saigon pancakes are more special when the local people create different types of cakes, including pancakes with mushrooms, squid, beef, … The sauce is also prepared very well. When serving, the shops also carry kohlrabi, carrots, bean sprouts and a number of herbs to eat together.
Addresses to taste:
- An la nghien (eat is love), Price of the menu: 50 – 100,000VND, Address: 74 Suong Nguyet Anh, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Muoi Xiem, Price of the menu: 50 – 80,000VND, Address: 54 Nguyen Van Troi, Phu Nhuan District, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Banh Xeo 46A, Price of the menu: 25 – 50,000VND, Address: 46A Dinh Cong Trang, Tan Dinh Ward, Ho Chi Minh City.
6. Bun Mam (fish- sauce vermicelli)
Bun Mam (fish-sauce vermicelli) is a famous dish of Mien Tay (Southwest) people. But, at present, we can enjoy it in Saigon. This delicacy is a little fishy taste. Therefore, not everyone loves them the first time. However, once you are familiar with its taste, you will want to go back to eat this vermicelli again and again.
Ingredients of the fish-sauce vermicelli include Linh and Sac fish sauce, fresh shrimp, squid, roasted pork, lemongrass, chilli and herbs. Processing is often quite elaborate before giving a bowl of good Bun Mam. Fish sauces make the broth stronger, and it is balanced by herbs, fresh green vegetables, the sweetness of the seafood and the greasy, crunchy taste of roasted meat.
Addresses to try:
- Bun Mam 444, Price: 35 – 55,000VND, Address: 375 Le Quang Dinh, Ward 5, Binh Thanh District, HCMC. Opening hours: 9:00 am – 9:00 pm.
- Bun Mam Co Ba, Price: 35 – 55,000VND, Address: 74 Le Trong Tan, Tay Thanh Ward, Tan Phu District, HCM City. Opening hours: 8:00 am – 10:30 pm.
- Bun Mam Sau Ken, Price: 20 – 55,000VND, Address: Alley 412 Nhat Tao, Ward 6, District 10, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 7:00 am – 6:00 pm.
>>> Read more about the shopping malls in Saigon.
7. Banh Canh
Depending on the region, Banh Canh ( Liquid noodle) will be made from wheat flour, rice flour or tapioca. The common type of Banh Canh is that the noodle is bigger and shorter than the common noodles and vermicelli. Therefore, the time to cook Banh Canh is also longer. However, the sweetness of the broth from the shrimp and meat will be absorbed into the noddle during long cooking time.
The local people create a delicious dish that is both soft and sweet. Some restaurants also use crab meat and quail eggs to make the soup a stronger taste.
Addresses to check:
- Banh Canh 14, Price: 30 – 50,000VND. Address: 223A Trang Binh Trong, Ward 3, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 7:00 am – 10:00 pm.
- Banh Canh Ghe Muoi Ot Nguyen Tri Phuong, Price: 45 – 90,000VND. Address: 484A Nguyen Tri Phuong, ward 9, District 10, HCMC. Opening hours: 11:00 am – 11:00 pm.
- Banh Canh Cua Ut Le (Ut Le crab noodle), Price: 35 -50,000VND. Address: 210 To Hien Thanh, ward 14, District 10, HCM City. Opening hours: 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
8. Fried dough
It sounds like nothing interesting, but fried dough becomes more and more famous, being one of the most beloved snacks for young people in Saigon. Maybe not everyone knows, this dish originates from China, then it is introduced to Saigon and modified to follow the taste of Vietnamese people.
The flour pellets are deep-fried in oil with chicken eggs and scallions and then become yellow, crunchy and fragrant food. The flour pellets are deep-fried in oil with chicken eggs and scallions and then become yellow, crunchy and fragrant food.
- Dat Thanh fried flour, Price: 20 – 35,000VND, Address: 277 Vo Van Tan, Ward 5, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 2:00pm – 11:00pm.
- Duc Hoa fried flour, Price: 20 – 40,000VND, Address: Su Van Hanh, District 10, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 3:00pm – 11:00pm.
- A Hao fried flour, Price: 15 – 20,000VND, Address: 112/5 Nguyen Thai Son, Ward 3, Go Vap District, HCMC. Opening hours: 9:00 am – 9:00 pm.
9. Baked banana with sticky rice
Baked banana with sticky rice is one of the most favourite street snacks in Saigon. Many people are surprised by the typical combination and the method to make it.
Crispy yellow sticky rice cover bananas served with coconut and its milk creating typical taste and feelings.
The natural sweetness of My Tho bananas becomes stronger after baking. The outer sticky skin is baked twice with banana leaves and roasted bare on the kitchen, which is more crispy and fragrant.
Addresses to taste:
- Chuoi nep nuong Nam Bo – Ut Lua, Price: 13,000VND. Address: 115 Phan Dang Luu, Phu Nhuan District, HCMC. Opening hours: 9:00 am – 10:00 pm.
- Vo Van Tan grilled sticky-rice banana, Price: 15,000VND. Address: Alley 378 Vo Van Tan, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 7:00 am – 9:00 pm
- Chuoi Nep Nuong Trang Dinh Xu, Price: 15 – 22,000VND. Address: 115B Tran Dinh Xu, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 2:00pm – 7:00pm.
10. Sweet Soup
Sweet soup is not only in Ho Chi Minh City. But, Saigon sweet soup is really famous and loved even the people from North Vietnam. You will see many sweet soup shops with a lot of eaters.
Enjoying the delicious cup of sweet soup with ice will make you cool down during the hot days in Saigon. Please note that you are careful with ice if you are foreigners and your stomach not familiar with water and ice in Vietnam. So, you can try it without ice.
Thanks to the rich source of fresh fruits, besides beans, Saigon sweet soup also includes a lot of fruits, making it more delicious.
Address to check:
- Che Khanh Vy, Price: 15 – 35,000VND. Address: 242B Su Van Hanh (one side of Ngo Gia Tu department building), District 10, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 5:00 pm – 10:30 pm.
- Che Ky Dong, Price 10 – 30,000VND. Address: 16C Ky Dong, District 3, HCMC. Opening hours: 5:00 pm – 10:00pm.
- Che Hien Khanh, Price: 10 – 25,000VND. Address: 718 Nguyen Dinh Chieu, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City. Opening hours: 9:00 am – 12:30 at noon; 2: 30pm – 10:00 pm.
>>> You may to check the restaurants in District 1.
The above delicacies are some of the flavour dishes in Saigon. When you arrive in Saigon, you also have a chance to enjoy many other food such as coconut sticky rice, goby hotpot, Saigon Pho…
Besides, the development of Ho Chi Minh City also attracts the investment of many foreign traders. Therefore, not only Vietnamese cuisine but this city also allows you to enjoy diverse foreign specialties. If you have an opportunity, do not hesitate to visit this destination to find great cuisine.
Which dish will you try when you come to Saigon?